Style is nothing without fit so choosing a perfect dress to complement your figure is important for looking great and feeling confident. Knowing your basic body shape will help you find flattering dresses that accentuate your features. Now that summer has arrived, it’s the perfect excuse to discover beautiful dresses for those summer days and evening soirees.
Take a look at our body shapes guide to help you pick the most flattering dresses to suit your silhouette.
If you have a fuller bust, rounded bottom and hips, and a small waist, you have the characteristics of an hourglass shape. For ladies that have this figure, experiment with a flattering dresses that contour your shape yet avoid bulk around your curves.
To create a visual balance in your outfit:
- Opt for a V-neck or scooping necklines
- Try bold and block colours for contouring
- Accentuate your waist with nipped in or belted styles
- Avoid fussy styles, dropped sleeve lines and high necklines
For ladies that have fullness around the middle, great legs and a rounder shoulder line, you have the characteristics of an apple shape. To style your shape, contour your bodyline and avoid detail around the tummy and hips.
To create a visual balance in your look:
- Opt for V-neck dresses to accentuate your chest area
- Choose wrap dresses which are great for skimming waist and balancing shoulders
- Wear a statement pendant offering a focal point
- Avoid wearing belts and dresses above knee length
Full hip and thighs, a defined waist and smaller shoulders and bust area often outline this common shape. A great way to accentuate your features and balance your top and bottom half is to create broader shoulders.
To create a visual balance with flattering dresses, try:
- A-line skirts with volume at the hemline
- Wrap dresses to balance your figure
- Cap sleeve detailing to focus on shoulder area
- Opt for V-necklines to accentuate chest area
- Avoid dropped waistline, flared or ruffled sleeve lines and straight dress styles
Athletic or rectangle shapes
For ladies with an athletic shape, your figure may showcase a straight shoulder line, little waist definition and straight hip and bottom area. If you’d like definition in your silhouette, creating the illusion of curves is a great way to achieve a fantastic look.
Create a visual balance with your style by:
- Adding volume to your outfit with focal points
- Experiment with prints and colour blocking
- Wear waist clinching belts to emphasis figure
- Avoid long, straight dress styles and shift dresses with square necklines